My Synology NAS allows the use of SSL to encrypt traffic. The default certificate supplied works, but gives an exception in the browser: There is a problem with this websites security certificate. The problem is the address and the certificate don’t add up. So the solution is to setup your own domain, link it to your NAS and create a certificate for it.
My ISP charges extra for a fixed IP address. To get around this you can setup DDNS, dynamic DNS. Your NAS updates the address it is available on right in the DNS of your domain.
Since godaddy.com does not provide DDNS I’m using namecheap.com.
- Go to the namecheap FreeDNS product and search for your domain.
- Hit search and when it can be hosted at namecheap you can Add DNS Service for Selected Domains. Don’t update the nameservers now!
- Go to the hosted domains and select findmynas.nl to view the details. Use the select authorization email to speed up the process. This is why you should not have updated the nameservers in the previous step, your e-mail would not have worked.
- When the e-mail arrives click the link in it and authorize namecheap to host the domain.
- Now update the nameservers on godaddy.com to
(see the changing digit after FREEDNS?)
The godaddy support article Setting Nameservers for Your Domain Names explains the details.
- Now you’ll have to wait for the changes to spread all over the internet 😉
- Somewhere in the near future the DNS status will update to active. Go to the hosted domains and select findmynas.nl to view the details.
- Go to the Dynamic DNS settings and enable it. Note the password.
- Go to the All Hosts Records and add a subdomain. This will be the record the NAS updates.
Host Name IP Address/URL Record type synology 127.0.0.1 A (Address)
- On your NAS install the DDNS Updater and setup DDNS. Details on synology forum.
Provider http://www.namecheap.com Hostname synology Login findmynas.nl Password ******************** (from Dynamic DNS in namecheap)
- Again wait some time as DNS is probably cached at your ISP. Now the NAS is accessible on http://synology.findmynas.nl
- Don’t forget to setup the e-mail fowarding with namecheap.
Note that the used domain FINDMYNAS.NL is not mine and only used for demo purposes because it was available at the time I created this post.